Tuesday, May 08, 2007

[51]
What’s up Dog?


I have contemplated that there is no apparent reason for dogs to exist (uh, coexist with us!) in this planet.

Sure they are loyal, gentle, placid to their masters ONLY. They growl. They chase. They bite ‘strangers’. But upon contextualizing ‘strangers’, we crop up two sorts: the bad often referred to in Tagalog as the “masasamang-loob” , and the good in which people categorized under are the same people who are doomed to death when seeing the sign that reads “BEWARE OF DOGS!”. Yes, I am relatively evil but I’m someone who does not murder, steal, propagate anything that’s against the Ten Commandments, or kidnap people for discounted ransom. So I still belong to the latter category. And I find it inadequate to learn the dogs’ alphabet just to relate my violent remarks to these bushy domesticated (wait, some are askals/asong-kalye) creatures.

Ahead of my dawn here on Earth, a filthy hirsute dog named Suman was our pet already. He was ancient though he was tender to me. He often stayed in the doormat that welcomes our living room at night to sleep. Until one day, he was found breathless and motionless observably he was dead.

Years after, in my early grade school, my mom brought me home a puppy. I named her Jelly because in that same day, my cousin gave me dozens of jelly sticks. This naming at least marked in my history though droll and funny. Eventually, Jelly grew up and like any other wandering dogs in our place, she was impregnated. The sperm donor was not confirmed ‘til now but the dog of our neighbor three houses away was put into primary suspicion. She bore three adorable puppies with different, umm, pigments. The gray one was Jericho; the brown, Jerry; and the pinkish was Jinky. I know the names sound stupid you can guess on the first letter of the mother’s name quick! My dad took with him in Narvacan Jericho and Jerry. Because of school, I have never bothered to take in mind what happened next. Sorry, but all I could remember was Jelly died one day. And as for Jinky? God, my memory is horrifying.

In my grade school, I had time-varying sundos/fetchers. In my 5th grade, my sundo was just our neighbor. One school day, I dressed too early so I went there first instead of them going to our house. As I was opening their gate, their bony brown dog barked so loud. To my shock, I ran fast away from him and of course, he began running after me! For the first time, I used my gathered Speed and Agility I’ve kept all my life.

Dogs are born with fangs; I’m born with masticating teeth only. Can you see the fairness? There was a period in my childhood when I go out with my cousins at days before Christmas Eve to carol in our neighborhood. Don’t look down on us we make more money than those teenagers with guitars and transportations back then. When we sing (or wail) at stingy people’s houses, they send out their dogs to make us leave. Witty.

Gratefully in my High School days, I have not experienced any dog rampage. Little did I know that the time was a disguised preparation for the next upcoming years. College. Everybody knows that I lived in my tita’s house here In Marikina wherein they own a dog named Jordan, much like Suman which was old too. His fur has colors brown to black. Though he was chained, he was fierce in my first months here. As for recently, I can walk in his territory; though there are times when he stands up and I am forced to give him bits of bread just to give way for me.

Also last Sunday, I was to bring back my laundered comforter from the Laundry house in our village. The laundry-lady let me wait inside while she gets my change as I was embracing the sweet-smelling comforter in plastic. After a few minutes, their Dalmatian came out and began to stare at me. I remained motionless for seconds while praying for the laundry-lady to get back fast. Meanwhile, the Dalmatian wiggled his tail and I thought it was a sign of his hospitality. Until suddenly he gave me a woof-woof-woof and charged towards me! I was trembled so I threw the comforter right on him and ran swiftly! The laundry-lady saw me and began to giggle.

Laundry-lady: ‘Wag ka kasing tumakbo. DI yan nangangagat. (giggling still)

Me: Ate, sinugod niya ko bigla. (I’m foolishly giggling at myself too)

I detest dogs!

I have heard many stories from friends too like the one who had a grandpa and his nurses being attacked viciously by their German shepherd with a shallow reason. There were reported bloodstains. My blockmate Shen who has a job to feed their dog regularly was bitten in the fingernail one time. My group mate in CTWS1 had also encountered the same situation as the previous.

I know you guys out there with dogs that sit, roll over and do Math are pointing your middle fingers at me. Bahala kayo. I have no oppositions to your cases. It’s just me, mind you.

You see, Dogs are somehow best friends of Man. But as the obsolete Pinoy movies state, “Mabait na Kaibigan, Masamang Kaaway”

No comments: