Monday, August 20, 2007

[78] Harvard Science High School

[78]

Harvard Science High School

I have little orientation on the Philippine Science High School (Pisay). Okay, it’s Jessica Zafra’s school back then, and records declare that it’s one of the schools in the country where almost all students pass the UPCAT (read: airheads are not granted entry).

PISAY by Aureaus Solito, who by the way directed the cherished “Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros”, circulates on the stories of high school classmates in the late 80’s in Pisay (duh). It featured a tale of one or two student in every year level that has come upon.

If you think Arroyo’s SONA has innumerable applauses, buy a ticket for yourself and watch this. Intentionally, I watched this film [with blockmates] to observe the technical errors (for my Film100 class). Because of the almost-smooth ‘Montage’, I found it rigid to elude the flow of the story as a first time film critic.

In the film, Pisay students appeared very sharp, and their industry on sciences, philosophy and craft is stupendous. With that cast of less than 50 I supposed—where did the producers get the talent fee? I’m sorry but indie films for me reflected clever thrift and uncontaminated art. Whatever happened to the inclusion of Eugene Domino there? The comedy was of course satisfactory but come on, EUGENE DOMINGO?! I hoped Solito and company attained boomingly the money they expected.

Support independent films! Ludicrous mainstream movies (read: “A Love Story”, “My Kuya’s Wedding” and this imminent Manny Pacquiao movie) have arrived from hell (help obliterate dim-witted Filipinos’ worship on these films)! It’s time to rebel, junk popcorn films! Eek!

No comments: