Sunday, August 05, 2007

[77] Compassion of the Christ


[77]
Compassion of the Christ

I failed to enter the theatre on time (because I had class before), and just saw the part where this guy in wood material for a costume was throwing lines I did not perceive quite well. He was John the Baptist. Entered Romnick Sarmienta apparently as Jesus clothed in abel, and I instantaneously noticed the trend: “Passion of the Christ— Filipinized!” As aforementioned, I liked the creativity: Jesus, the Apostles, etc. in colorful ethnic clothes. This detached them from the usual concept of Jesus Christ films I saw in Lenten season; they became no archetype. Salutations for that!

My best performer is Romnick Sarmienta as Jesus. He acquired a solemn character: someone in real life I would fear to near, not because of the fright but the boldness he embodies with his simple actions. In a scene where he was already crucified and talking to God above, he wasn’t irate like Jesus; he was smooth in his delivery of lines. For all I know, Jesus was patient. Sarmienta was patient-looking. He had an aura of more than a holy figure.

Okay, the play overall was inconsistent. Possibly because of the monochromatic presentation of the stage; it became a barrier to me. I just tried my best to engage in by ignoring it and listening to the lines they threw. I observed one of my classmates sleeping during the first half of the show, ugh. I’m sorry, I was quite disappointed.

No comments: