Tuesday, April 17, 2007

[43] Shake Rattle Enroll

[43]
Shake Rattle Enroll

The classic gag refering to UP as a "University of Pila" is virtually a fact.

Last Thursday when I arrived here in Manila with my weird haircut, at 6 in the morning, I had no idea what horrible thing would happen later that I took a nap for two hours. I woke up and ate breakfast then gulped on a Centrum Complete capsule. Consequently, I proceeded to UP a.s.a.p. for my summer NSTP-CWTS enrollment and saw the nose-flicking crowd which almost gave me a migraine. In addition, the pioneering Real-Time system of enrollment was ruefully introduced. It went like this: 'those who did not acquire their desired subjects through the CRS Online will have a chance to enlist again on the registration itself by going to the Computer Center and printing their own Form 5' [pardon to those who cannot relate; it's even harder than what you're thinking]. That is, if you take a line with ALL other UP students. So it's not just a line. It's a looooooooooooong line. We felt like frustrated wannabe stars who would risk our last ounces of fortitude on Earth just to have a 'slot' with the achievers of American Idol or even local Startsruck.

From 10:30 to 6, dusk I was with Sandy! Don't even imagine: we could not spell PROGRESS, PATIENCE, or HOPE anymore, for more than eight hours of waiting to death. Luckily at the beginning of the unexpected Calvary, she brought magazines and Sudoko collections that at least took 1/10 of the boredom we encountered hellishly. Then we resorted to having grade school games with the help of pens and papers. Our high hopes were in climax that we both thought of not surrendering till the end. When it was 4:30, we looked so stressed that AC who was before us in the line seemed lifeless, unresponsive and motionless. I then told Sandra, "Let's be optimistic, we can make it early.' And she replied, "Be realistic, we'll be there inside at 6!" Poof! We were inside by 6! Gratefully, the Internet server worked that we got our schedules in a breeze. But it didn't stop there.

The Friday the 13th came to the limelight when I continued the next steps of the registration. After I had the signature of the present adviser, Ma'am Lambino [infamous for making taray and all], I submitted with Ate Au my unissued Form 5 to the Administration's Office and asked, "What time will it be assessed po?" We got an answer of "3 o'clock siguro ng hapon...ng Tuesday. Joke!" Great, I thought, 4 coma-inducing days of enrollment, how hard can it be?! They tell me.

Waiting for our assessed Form 5's, my blockmates Mish and Gene and orgmate Ate Ge were in horror of the thought that by we can't make it that day. When it was 3:50, our names were called that we hurridly whooshed to AS to finally pay our matriculations! Perhaps the nightmare was neutralized after learning that the fee for NSTP was half the supposed one. Yipee! I had a good kickback, man!

And yes, I'll be in Manila for five weeks from now on but I won't get lousy out of it for sure. Summer for me this year has come to a lamentation, but hey what could I do? P.S. DISMAYING HEADLINE: Blockmates Jau, Shen, Shereen and Mics have shifted out of Mass Comm. I hope they find their own real happiness in some other paths they take. :c

No comments: